HudStream is the name for the University of Huddersfield's Lecture Capture service. Whilst its primary function is lecture capture, it is capable of fulfilling several roles:
- Lecture Capture is the term that we use for recording taught sessions in the University.
- Screen-recording is when a tutor, lecturer or student can record what is on their screen and can narrate the content for someone else to view. Available for computers and mobile devices. This can also include mobile video capture.
- Live Streaming events, such as graduation or guest lectures.
Getting started with Lecture Capture:
In essence, there is nothing you need to do to get started with Lecture Capture. The system is fully automated, so you can walk into your room and start teaching. The lecture will be automatically recorded and uploaded into UniLearn 2 days later. You can tell that your lecture is being recorded by the green desk light, which will come on at the start and go off at the end.
If you want to pause the recording of your lecture for any reason (for example, for a break in a long taught session or discussion with students), then you can press the light and it will turn orange to show you that the recording has paused. Press it again to resume the lecture.
On this iPark site, you will find video guides that will talk you through how to edit your capture (although be aware that you are not expected to carry out any editing) and how to change the availability of the recorded lecture.
You can also use the software to make your own recordings on your desktop/laptop computer or mobile device and these can be added to your course. This can be useful for supplementary materials or presenting new concepts.
The Lecture Capture Room
When a room is equipped for lecture capture, you will see a notification on the desktop of the computer, and also posters on the classroom walls. You will also see some additional equipment in the room.
Rooms Enabled for Lecture Capture
Rooms enabled for Lecture Capture (August 2017)
How to make your recordings available:
Availability - How to make your recordings available manually. (It happens automatically after 48 hours.)
Policy on Lecture Capture and guest speaker form
Policy and Copyright: There is some policy guidance available about the use of lecture capture, copyright law and a template guest-speaker form.
Log on to Lecture Capture
1) Log on to UniLearn, select one of your Modules and then go to Lecture Capture.
2) Go to http://hudstream.hud.ac.uk and select Log in Using UniLearn; from the pull-down menu. Type in your usual university log-in.
Playback Audio quality
Sometimes, for a variety of reasons, the quality of audio playback may be a little poor. This can be enhanced by switching on Loudness Equalization on the computer. If audio quality is still poor, the lecturer should consider wearing a lapel microphone. Details of these can be obtained from the School Learning Technology Adviser.